Saturday, April 26, 2008

Back in the Saddle!


Okay, I have been very delinquent about writing and I feel very guilty about it. I got thrown off my game but now I am back. Enough said! Now I want to continue from where I left off: hot chocolate. We drank ours in a patch of sun at the bottom of the Rue des Martyrs while visions of quiches were still dancing in my head. We had no set plan, except to head back to the hotel so we decided to continue downhill in that general direction. On the Rue du Faubourg Montmartre, sunlight glinting through a glass ceiling caught my eye, and I think I actually squeeked as I pointed out the Passages Couverts to Tenzig. I had actually crossed them off the list as something we wouldn't have time to see, but now here they were! It was meant to be. The Passages Couvert are covered arcades meandering in between buildings, lined with curious little shops. Stepping into the passage I felt transported back in time a hundred years. There was a peacefulness in the air and I loved looking in the shop windows. My favorite was a bookseller, the window was full of volumes with magical gold inlaid covers.




We stopped for lunch across from the bookseller, the food didn't blow me away but I was so happy with my surroundings that I barely noticed. Tenzig ate something strange, some kind of hotdog with a side of fries, mostly I was satisfied with a glass of wine and the quality of the light.


Farther along the passage there are stamp collectors, antiques dealers, and of the always necessary giant moose head shop!


When we came out the other end, back into the regular day, I was sad to leave the passages behind. We talked about coming back before we left, but we didn't get the chance. Next time I will make sure I got to spend more time wandering from window to window, discovering the marvels within.

1 comment:

k said...

Ok, looks like I'm going to Pair-ee after all Smaine - but for one night! Two days! Hit me with the very best of the best! After reading all your glorious suggestions 24 hours doesn't seem like anywhere near long enough...