I loved these two faces carved into the stone of one of the bridges crossing the Seine. If you approach from the happy side and then turn, you will see grumpy face scowling at your back as you walk away. They reminded me of a bust of Janus (the prototypical two-face) on the Ponte Fabricio in Rome. Janus represented transition and bridges are also places of transition, I think that these two go along nicely with that theme.
Monday, July 2, 2007
Two Faced Bridge
I loved these two faces carved into the stone of one of the bridges crossing the Seine. If you approach from the happy side and then turn, you will see grumpy face scowling at your back as you walk away. They reminded me of a bust of Janus (the prototypical two-face) on the Ponte Fabricio in Rome. Janus represented transition and bridges are also places of transition, I think that these two go along nicely with that theme.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment