When we were done theorizing about the possibilities of aliens in the center of London, we turned our attention to more touristy activities. I was adamant about seeing the crown jewels which meant visiting the Tower of London. The jewels dazzled us even as we were shoved out of the way by a hundred kids who looked like they just got let out from Hogworts. Once we escaped out into the courtyard we met face to face with the resident ravens. Their wings are clipped to keep them from flying away, legend has it the Kingdom would fall if they did, so they hop around in the grass. It seems that they are well fed though because they are BIG birds. The one on the right was the king of the balance beam...
We also went up in the Tower Bridge and enjoyed the views down the Thames from the top. The engine rooms were my favorite part, with Victorian machinery plugging away.

3 comments:
What a fantastic blog and wonderful way to share ideas, tips and things glimpsed while traveling. Three cheers for getting this going! I'll be happily checking in.
Ah! The Ravens!
When I went to London with Georges a few years ago he must have shot about two rolls of film which focused on nothing but those feathery fellows.
I didn't know whether to encourage his new-found photographic obsession or back away quietly. The whole myth about how "if the ravens leave Tower Hill then the great British empire will collapse" was evidently very entriguing to him.
Funnily enough, last summer in July '07 when I was passing through London, the tabloid front pages were plastered with Raven glamour shots. Apparently the ravens had been locked away in cages IN a tower on Tower Hill since there was a threat from Avian flu. Now that's protection!
What a fantastic blog and wonderful way to share ideas, tips and things glimpsed while traveling. Three cheers for getting this going! I'll be happily checking in.
Ah! The Ravens!
When I went to London with Georges a few years ago he must have shot about two rolls of film which focused on nothing but those feathery fellows.
I didn't know whether to encourage his new-found photographic obsession or back away quietly. The whole myth about how "if the ravens leave Tower Hill then the great British empire will collapse" was evidently very entriguing to him.
Funnily enough, last summer in July '07 when I was passing through London, the tabloid front pages were plastered with Raven glamour shots. Apparently the ravens had been locked away in cages IN a tower on Tower Hill since there was a threat from Avian flu. Now that's protection!
Good words.
Post a Comment